m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
The main difficultly in putting together a seder plate is finding and remembering everything, especially haroset ingredients. Fortunately, haroset is quite forgiving.
- Horseradish (prepared or fresh)
- Roasted eggs (one for the seder plate and optionally one for each guest)
- Chicken bone, shank bone, or a beet
- Ingredients for haroset
- Romaine lettuce (optional)
Other non-meal items required for the seder are:
- matzah (and a cover for it)
- a bowl of salt water
- an afikomen bag or other wrapping
- Roast the egg(s) in the oven for 30 minutes at 325°, then cool in ice water and peel.
- Roast the bone or bone substitute with anything else in the oven at any temperature.
- For appearances, hold the bone and one of the eggs over a gas flame (using an appropriate implement).
- Make the haroset (see recipe).
- Grate the horseradish if not prepared.
- Wash the greens.
- Unbox the matzot, cover, and put out the salt water.
A Seder Menu
Here’s a pretty simple seder I put together for some Ashkenazi Jews with certain menu expectations, especially about the color of tzimmes.
Most of the recipes mentioned serve 8.
- The seder plate (explained below), including haroset
- Gefilte fish (out of a jar, with prepared horseradish or any leftover seder horseradish)
- Matzo ball soup or matza ball mix and prepared broth.
- Briskette (about 1/3 lb. per person, more if you want any leftover)
- Tapioca pudding with fruit
If possible, make the soup, brisket, and dessert a day ahead.
Warm up anything cooked ahead (except dessert, which can be served hot or cold) at the appropriate point of the seder.
Other Passover Recipes
I also have recipes for meatloaf, Turkey Chicken for a Crowd, rice flour cookies (warning: rice), and Breakfast Lentils (warning: legumes).
Other recipes that weren’t intended to be Passover recipes but qualify include Candied Grapefruit Peels, Suspiros (meringues), Potato and Cilantro Soup, Fish Kuku, Molha Quase à Moda de Pico (Azorean beef stew), stovetop Turkey Chicken, Chicken Cacciatore, Tuscan Chicken, and many of my roasted chicken and roasted vegetable recipes.