m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Meatloaf for Passover
I don’t recall where I got the original version of this recipe, but I altered it significantly in 2016 under the influence of Meatloaf Madness (Foodgeeks recipe #18400).
- 1–2 lbs. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ green bell pepper or ½ orange, chopped
- 2 matzot crushed or 1 c. matzah farfel or up to ½ c. matzah meal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 oz. tomato sauce or 1 tomato, chopped (optional; if using, reduce the next ingredient to 1 T.)
- 3 T. water or wine
- 1 tsp. salt
Spices to taste: pepper, basil, cumin, coriander, mustard, paprika, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sage
- Optionally, fry the onion, garlic, pepper, orange and/or tomato until soft. Let cool slightly before mixing in.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Put into a (meat)loaf pan, or form into a loaf shape in the center of a baking dish, or
- Cook for 1 hour in a preheated 350° - 375° oven. (Cover if using a baking dish.)
Chop some root vegetables and cook them in the pan with the meatloaf.