m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Carrot Spice Muffins
This is another Recipezaar recipe, #98447, cut down and otherwise adapted for my purposes.
Sometimes I serve them as a vegetable.
- ¾ c. whole wheat flour
- ¼ c. white flour
- 2/3 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 3 ½ T. honey or brown sugar
- 2/3 egg
- 1/3 c. buttermilk, yogurt, or soy milk with lemon juice
- 3 ½ T. oil, melted butter, or applesauce
- 1/3 tsp vanilla
- 1 c. grated carrot
- 1/3 c. raisins
- 1/3 c. chopped nuts or coconut
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix flour, leavening, and spices.
- Separately, mix remaining ingredients.
- Stir the mixtures together until just moistened.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or to the toothpick test.