m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Honey Pear Muffins
This is an optionally dairy muffin recipe from The Crepes of Wrath, cut down by a third (because it just seemed like too much stuff and my home-grown pears are not the size of commercial pears). I adjusted for salted butter, added pear spices, corrected typos, and (considering the typos) tossed in some baking powder just to be safe.
Makes a baker’s dozen full-size or 36 mini muffins.
- 1 2/3 c. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- dash nutmeg
- dash clove
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ c. salted butter (or shortening)
- 2/3 c. honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 mashed pear
- 1 diced pear
- sanding sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin tin.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and add honey to the butter (or cream them together if the honey is hard).
- Add eggs individually, disregarding appearances, then mashed pear and extract.
- Add dry ingredients gradually, then the diced pear.
- Spoon into muffin tin (1.5–2 T each for minis, 4–5 T for maxi muffins). Optionally sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 10–11 minutes (15–18 for maxi) or until the toothpick test. Cool in muffin tin before removing.