m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Easy Pasta e Fagioli
This is a variation on the first two recipes in this nice Pasta e Fagioli collection. It’s vegetarian, quick, and simple. Serves 2.
- 1 15 oz can (approx. 1 ½ c.) cannellini
- 1-4 cloves garlic (to taste), crushed or chopped
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 5 peppercorns, crushed in a mortar and pestle (I was out of pepper.)
- about 3 c. water
- about 2 T. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste
- about 2/3 c. or 1/3 lb. small pasta (e.g., orzo)
- Fry the garlic and spices in oil at the bottom of a small stockpot briefly.
- Optionally, puree about half of the beans in some of the water.
- Add all the beans, the water, and the tomato paste (carefully) to the pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for its cooking time, stirring frequently.
- Serve at any temperature.
Use tomato sauce instead of paste.
Replace water with broth.
Top with grated Italian cheese.
Beware of adding too much pasta. For pasta conversions, try Barilla.