m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Chickpea Salad with Fennel, Tomatoes and Olives
I got this recipe from my sister, who annotated it. Further dialog is from her, with some edits for capitalization and the like.
(I usually double the dressing.)
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- pepper (yeah, right)
- 3 T olive oil
Add first four ingredients to bowl, whisk then whisk in olive oil. (I throw all in a small jar and shake.)
- 2 c. cooked or canned chickpeas - rinsed (I use one can - the small chickpeas if you can find them)
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved vertically (remove hard core at bottom of bulb) then thinly sliced. Reserve sprigs for garnish. (I skip the garnish.)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 10 black olives (pitted and halved)
- ½ c. thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley (I skip this too; I have issues with parsley)
Toss all (except sprigs) in dressing; cover and let marinate in refrigerator 4 hours.
Serve with french bread and goat cheese or with tuna or salmon (but not both ‘cause that would be nasty).