m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...


I’ve been meaning to get categories working in the blog since way back when I converted it to jekyll, and now I’ve got it working, more or less. This post, for example, should include a link to the tools tag.

I tried out a couple of plugins that did what I wanted (jekyll-category-archive-plugin and jekyll-tagging) but not quite in the way I wanted to do it, so instead I used Charlie Park’s unpackaged plugin, with a few tweaks of my own.

To add a list of all tags with post counts, I followed advice from StackOverflow and elsewhere, replacing the site.categories variable with site.tags. You can infer the details from my fork of Left if you’re brave enough.

The hard part was getting the tags back onto my posts; most of them were displaced in the move to jekyll, though I kept a list of them. While retagging old posts, I noticed that my Terragen planet tutorial, although on the list under Terragen, was missing. I recovered it from the Wayback Machine. Many links are broken (due to time and tides, not the recovery process), but my bit is there.