m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Orecchiette with Anchovy Sauce
This recipe is derived from Bigoli in Salsa all'Ebraica con Acciuga from The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Rodin. I cut back on the anchovies (by half), but it’s still a lot of anchovies for non-Italians. I usually forget or skip the pepper. I have never chopped the capers as instructed in the original recipe; maybe capers are bigger in Italy.
- 1 lb orecchiette, preferably whole wheat
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 2 oz. cans anchovy fillets in oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch Italian (flat-leafed) parsley, chopped
- a handful of capers
- pepper to taste
- Boil pasta with a generous amount of salt and drain.
- In a saucepan, heat garlic in oil just until the aroma rises.
- Add anchovies with their oil and stir until they dissolve a bit.
- Freshen pasta and mix with the sauce in a large bowl (or in the sauce pan, if it’s large enough).
- Add parsley, pepper, and capers.
- Serve hot or cold.