m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
This is a passover recipe based on Traditional Apple-Walnut Charoset, much altered by changes suggested in the comments.
- 3 mixed apples (granny smith, gala/braeburn, fuji, macintosh, janathon), peeled and diced
- 1 ½ c. walnuts, toasted and chopped
- handful pine nuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- ½ c. sweet red wine or sweet vermouth
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- golden raisins (see variants for substitutions)
- orange zest (optional)
- lemon juice (optional)
Grind it up in a food processor instead of dicing.
Optionally, substitute 1 T. honey or 1 T. brown sugar caramelized a bit (e.g., with water in a microwave) for the raisins.
Substitute a sweet white wine for the sweet red.
Substitute hazelnuts or pecans for walnuts.
Add horseradish or cayenne to taste.
Variants of other recipes: add pine nuts, chestnuts, almonds, ground almond, dates, figs, 2 pears, prunes, ground clove, ground ginger, nutmeg, and/or sugar. (A lot of these are in the Haroset from Italy recipe in Claudia Roden’s Book of Jewish Food.