m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
The New Kitchen Cookbook
This is my version of Lentils with Eggs and Greens by Shelby Morrison, which I googled after not having bought any Passover-safe breakfast cereal. I haven’t changed it much beyond clarifying the quantities and reducing the number of pots. Peter liked it because it came out very spicy. I’d recommend scaling back on the cayenne pepper if yours is brand new like mine was.
- 1 c. split red lentils, dry
- 2 ¼ c. water
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2–4 eggs
- 3 oz. baby spinach (half a 6 oz. bag from Trader Joe’s)
- Boil the lentils in the water for about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in a frying pan until cooked or caramelized, to taste.
- Add the garlic to the onion and fry one more minute.
- Add the spices to the onion, stir, and transfer to the lentil pot.
- Fry the eggs over easy in the frying pan (1 or 2 per person).
- Remove lentil pot from heat and mix in the spinach.
- Serve lentil mixture in bowls, topped with the fried eggs.
If you don’t have cayenne, you can add fresh hot peppers to the lentils while they’re cooking.
Add cumin or coriander for more flavor complexity.
Add cardamom, nutmeg and/or clove for a more breakfasty flavor.