m. c. de marco: To invent new life and new civilizations...
About the Random Family Tree Generator
The Random Family Tree Generator is a product of NaNoWriMo 2013, during which I needed to populate several dwarf clans, fast. I found a few versions of a generator for random medieval family trees (of descendants of a matriarch/patriarch pair) online, to which I added a bunch of features that I needed:
- generation of non-human and otherwise non-medieval family trees
- editing of any aspect of a generated tree
- display of the output as an actual tree (in addition to an indented list or a CSV file)
- generation of full trees up to a specified date
- various improved methods of name generation
- a name list viewer
- optional clan generation
- detailed instructions for use
I didn’t actually need the detailed instructions, but as the thing was getting a bit complex I expanded them accordingly. The source code is available at github, along with more gory details. I also shared a little sausage in the blog.